What Marketers Should Know About Video in 2023
Updated: Sep 20
Video marketing is not just an option, it's a necessity for businesses looking to connect with their audiences effectively. To stay ahead in this competitive field, video marketers need to be informed about the latest trends, technologies, and strategies. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore over 30 considerations and actions that video marketers should make in 2023, to create compelling, impactful, and successful video campaigns.
1. The Power of Authenticity In 2023, authenticity remains a cornerstone of effective video marketing. Audiences are increasingly looking for genuine connections with brands and content creators. Authenticity is about being real, relatable, and transparent in your videos. It means showcasing the human side of your brand, sharing behind-the-scenes glimpses, and engaging in honest conversations with your audience. Authenticity builds trust, and trust is crucial for long-term brand loyalty. 2. Mobile-First Video Content Mobile devices are the primary means of consuming video content today. Video marketers must prioritise mobile-first content creation. This involves using vertical and square video formats, ensuring that text and visuals are optimised for smaller screens, and designing video campaigns with mobile user behaviour in mind. Optimising for mobile also means ensuring that your website and landing pages are mobile-responsive. A seamless transition from watching a video to taking action, such as making a purchase or filling out a contact form, is vital for conversion rates. 3. Short-Form Video Dominance Short-form videos, such as those found on TikTok and Instagram Reels, are skyrocketing in popularity. Marketers should tap into this trend by creating concise, attention-grabbing videos that deliver their message quickly. Storytelling within a limited time frame is an art, and mastering it can significantly impact your video marketing success. To succeed with short-form videos, you need to captivate your audience within the first few seconds. Use eye-catching visuals, compelling captions, and snappy editing to hook viewers from the start. Don't forget to incorporate relevant hashtags to increase discoverability.
“Investing in professional video production can make a significant difference…”
4. High Quality Production = High Quality Results In 2023, high-quality video production remains paramount for successful video marketing campaigns. While it's become easier for individuals and businesses to create videos with smartphones and basic equipment, investing in professional video production can make a significant difference in your brand's image and the effectiveness of your videos. Quality production values, including sharp visuals, crisp audio, professional lighting, and well-executed editing, can elevate your videos and set them apart from the competition. High-quality videos not only enhance viewer engagement but also convey professionalism, trustworthiness, and a commitment to excellence.
6. Personalisation at Scale Personalisation is no longer just a buzzword. Video marketers should leverage data and automation to deliver personalised video content to their target audiences. Whether it's tailoring product recommendations or addressing viewers by name, personalisation enhances engagement and conversions. 7. Accessibility and Inclusivity Ensuring that your video content is accessible to all is not only ethically sound but also crucial for compliance and broadening your audience reach. Use closed captions, provide audio descriptions, and make your videos compatible with screen readers. Inclusivity matters, and it can set your brand apart in 2023. 9. Data Privacy and Compliance As data privacy regulations continue to evolve, video marketers must stay updated with laws like GDPR and CCPA. Handling user data responsibly and obtaining proper consent is not just a legal requirement but also a trust-building measure. 10. Sustainability and Green Marketing Consumers are increasingly conscious of sustainability issues. Video marketers should align their messaging with environmentally friendly practises and showcase their commitment to sustainability in their videos. Share your company's eco-friendly initiatives and highlight how your products or services contribute to a greener future. Storytelling around sustainability can resonate with environmentally conscious consumers and enhance your brand's reputation.
Glowfrog Video Production have been hired by British Recycled Plastic to tell their customers’ sustainability stories. 11. Multi-Platform Video Distribution In 2023, it's crucial for video marketers to have a well-defined multi-platform distribution strategy. Different platforms attract diverse audiences, and tailoring your video content to each platform can significantly impact your reach and engagement. Determine which platforms align with your target audience and marketing goals. Develop a content distribution plan that considers platform-specific best practises, optimal posting times, and content formats. This strategy will ensure that your videos reach the right people at the right time, maximising their impact. 12. Data-Driven Video Optimisation Data-driven optimisation is a fundamental strategy for video marketers in 2023. Analysing video performance metrics, such as view duration, click-through rates, and audience demographics, provides valuable insights into what's working and what needs improvement. Regularly review your video analytics to identify trends and opportunities for optimisation. Adjust your video content, messaging, and distribution based on these insights to continuously improve your results. Data-driven decisions can lead to more effective and efficient video marketing campaigns.
“Google’s algorithm prefers websites that embed video content…”
13. Comprehensive Video SEO Search engine optimisation (SEO) is not limited to written content; it also applies to video. Video marketers must prioritise video SEO in 2023 to improve their videos' discoverability and visibility in search results. Optimise video titles, descriptions, and tags with relevant keywords and phrases. Google’s algorithm prefers websites that embed video content, so consider embedding videos on your website and optimising video thumbnails to attract clicks from search engine results pages. High quality videos will also increase a website visitor’s dwell time (time spent on your website before leaving) and this indicates to Google that your website is a good search result.
14. Storytelling Frameworks Effective storytelling is a timeless strategy for engaging audiences. In 2023, mastering storytelling frameworks is essential for video marketers. These frameworks provide a structured approach to crafting compelling narratives that resonate with viewers. Explore storytelling frameworks such as the Hero's Journey, the Three-Act Structure, or the Problem-Solution-Result model. Tailor your video content to these frameworks to create narratives that captivate and emotionally connect with your audience. 15. Segmentation and Personalisation Segmentation and personalisation remain vital strategies for video marketers in 2023. Rather than relying on AI for personalisation, focus on segmenting your audience based on demographics, behaviour, and preferences. Create targeted video content for each audience segment, addressing their specific needs and interests. Implement personalisation in your video email marketing campaigns, recommending videos based on viewer history, and using personalised video thumbnails and subject lines. 16. Video Content Calendar A well-structured video content calendar is a strategic asset for video marketers. Planning your video content in advance ensures a consistent and organised approach to video marketing throughout the year. Develop a content calendar that aligns with your marketing objectives, product launches, and seasonal trends. Include key milestones, release dates, and promotion schedules to maintain a cohesive video strategy. This approach helps you stay on track and maximise the impact of your video content. By focusing on these strategy-oriented subsections, video marketers can develop a well-rounded and effective approach to video marketing in 2023, emphasising planning, optimisation, and audience engagement.
17. A/B Testing and Video Experimentation Incorporate A/B testing and experimentation into your video marketing strategy in 2023. Test different video elements such as thumbnails, titles, calls to action, and video lengths to identify what resonates most with your audience. By systematically experimenting and analysing results, you can fine-tune your video marketing approach, optimising for higher engagement and conversion rates. This data-driven approach ensures that your videos are continuously improving. 18. Effective Video Calls to Action (CTAs) The strategic placement and wording of calls to action (CTAs) can significantly impact your video's conversion rates. In 2023, focus on crafting compelling CTAs that guide viewers towards your desired action, whether it's making a purchase, signing up for a newsletter, or sharing the video. Experiment with different CTA styles, such as mid-roll CTAs, end-screen CTAs, and interactive overlay CTAs. Monitor the performance of each CTA type to determine which drives the most conversions for your specific video content. 19. Long-Term Video Content Strategy Developing a long-term video content strategy is crucial for maintaining a consistent and sustainable video presence. Instead of creating ad-hoc videos, plan a content roadmap that aligns with your brand's overarching goals and messaging. Identify key themes, series, or episodic content that can be explored over an extended period. This strategic approach helps maintain audience engagement, fosters brand loyalty, and establishes your brand as a reliable source of valuable video content.
20. Leveraging User Feedback and Engagement Data Engage with your audience's feedback and engagement data as part of your ongoing video strategy. Monitor comments, social media mentions, and viewer interactions to gain insights into their preferences, questions, and concerns. Use this feedback to shape future video content, addressing audience interests and needs directly. By demonstrating that you listen to your audience and act on their input, you can build stronger relationships and trust. 21. Competitive Analysis in Video Marketing Competitive analysis is a strategic practise that allows you to understand how your competitors approach video marketing. Analyse the video content, strategies, and performance of your industry peers and competitors to identify gaps and opportunities. By assessing the competitive landscape, you can tailor your video marketing approach to differentiate your brand, offer unique value, and capitalise on areas where competitors may be falling short. 22. Webinar and Educational Video Series Consider incorporating webinars and educational video series into your video marketing strategy. These formats can position your brand as an authoritative resource in your industry and provide valuable knowledge to your audience. Plan and schedule regular webinars or educational video releases that address industry trends, tips, tutorials, or frequently asked questions. This approach can attract a dedicated following of learners and industry enthusiasts. By integrating these strategy-focused subsections into your video marketing plan, you can build a more comprehensive and effective strategy for 2023. These tactics emphasise planning, optimisation, audience engagement, and data-driven decision-making to help you achieve your video marketing goals.
23. Social Media Video Scheduling and Posting Develop a strategic posting schedule for your video content on social media platforms. Understand when your target audience is most active and receptive to video content. Consistency in posting can help maintain audience engagement and grow your online community. Leverage social media management tools to automate and schedule your video releases, ensuring that your content reaches the right audience at optimal times. 24. Email Video Marketing Strategies Incorporate video into your email marketing campaigns strategically. Embed video thumbnails in your email content to pique curiosity and drive click-through rates. Consider using video to convey complex messages or to provide product demonstrations directly within your email campaigns. Segment your email list to send personalised video content to different audience groups, tailoring your messaging to their specific interests and needs.
“Influencer partnerships can expand your reach and lend credibility to your brand.”
25. Collaborative Partnerships and Influencer Marketing Explore collaborative partnerships and influencer marketing as strategic avenues for video promotion. Identify influencers or industry experts who align with your brand values and target audience. Collaborate with these individuals or organisations to create co-branded video content or leverage their influence to promote your videos. Influencer partnerships can expand your reach and lend credibility to your brand. 26. Video Analytics and KPI Tracking Continuously monitor video analytics and key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure the effectiveness of your video marketing efforts. Track metrics such as conversion rates, click-through rates, view duration, and audience demographics. Regularly analyse this data to assess which videos are performing well and which may require adjustments. Use insights from analytics to refine your video strategy, focusing on what resonates most with your audience. 27. Legal and Copyright Considerations Understand the legal and copyright aspects of video marketing to avoid potential pitfalls. When you hire a production company, they usually sort things like this for you, hassle-free. So, you may not need to be concerned about rights and permissions for music, images, or third-party content when working with a production company. Do, however, familiarise yourself with data privacy regulations, disclosures, and disclaimers relevant to your region and industry. Compliance with legal requirements is a strategic move to protect your brand's reputation and avoid potential legal issues.
28. Long-Tail Keyword Video Optimisation Optimise your video content for long-tail keywords and phrases that align with your target audience's search intent. Long-tail keywords are specific and less competitive, making it easier for your videos to rank in search engine results. Incorporate these keywords naturally into your video titles, descriptions, and transcripts to improve discoverability and attract viewers actively searching for content related to your industry or niche. 29. Conversion Funnel Integration Integrate video strategically into your conversion funnel or customer journey. Recognise that different videos may serve various stages of the funnel, from awareness and consideration to conversion and retention. Craft videos that address each stage's unique needs, guiding viewers through the funnel with tailored messaging and calls to action. This approach can enhance the overall effectiveness of your video marketing strategy.
“Recognise that different videos may serve various stages of the funnel.”
30. Niche Video Platforms and Communities Beyond the major social media platforms, explore niche video platforms and online communities that align with your brand and target audience. Platforms like Vimeo, Twitch, or specialised forums can provide opportunities to connect with highly engaged, niche communities. Participate in discussions, share your expertise, and create tailored video content for these platforms to build brand authority and connect with passionate audiences. 31. Video Content Reciprocity Incorporate the principle of reciprocity into your video marketing strategy. Offer value to your audience through informative, educational, or entertaining video content without expecting an immediate return. By building goodwill and trust with your audience through valuable video content, you increase the likelihood of them reciprocating with actions like subscribing, sharing, or making a purchase down the line. 32. Video Content Licencing and Syndication Explore opportunities for licencing and syndicating your video content to reach broader audiences. Partner with media outlets, websites, or content aggregators that can feature your videos and extend your reach to their audiences. This strategic approach can help you tap into new viewer demographics and enhance brand visibility beyond your organic reach.
“Filming on a phone damages brand credibility…”
33. Don’t Try To Film Videos on Your Smartphone Filming promotional videos on a phone is one of the fastest ways for your business to lose credibility. It’s easy to see why companies adopt this approach, because it seems at face value like it will save a lot of money to film on a phone, rather than paying to hire a video production company. However, filming on a phone - with no knowledge of videography - inevitably leads to the creation of low quality videos, which in turn associates your brand with low quality. You will ultimately pay more in the long-run, when you lose out to competitors who have invested in high quality video marketing. There is a direct correlation between how good your advertising videos are, in terms of production standards, and how the viewer therefore feels about the professionalism of your business and quality of your product. Consequently, making your own videos on a phone will actually result in far fewer sales, as viewers will instead consider your competitor to be a better and more trustworthy choice, based on the quality of their professional promo videos. 34. Hiring a Video Production Company Consider partnering with a reputable video production company to ensure that your videos meet the highest standards of quality. Video production companies bring expertise, industry knowledge, and access to advanced equipment that can result in polished and visually stunning video content. When choosing a video production company, carefully review their portfolio, client testimonials, and previous work to ensure they align with your brand's vision and goals. Collaborating with professionals can save you time, enhance your video's impact, and protect your brand from the potential pitfalls of amateur production. Investing in professional video production for your core marketing materials can enhance your brand's credibility and leave a lasting impression on your audience. High-quality video production is a strategic choice that pays dividends in building brand trust and delivering exceptional video marketing results.
For more information about professional video production, and to arrange a free consultation, please fill in the short form below.